This will be a brief update, as all of our writers are currently swamped with other things. We know we owe you a summary of the last couple of meetings and we will have that for you as soon as humanely possible.
However, we wanted to bring your attention to some news uncovered by our friends at Jeffco Citizens for Responsible Education. They noticed that a number of emails regarding the use of Certificates of Participation (COPs) had been sent to the board. The vast majority of those in opposition were one of two form letters. Jeffco CRE followed that trail a bit further, right to the door of Americans for Prosperity, who conveniently set up a webpage so that people could submit a form letter to the board through their website.
We agree with Jeffco CRE when they write “Colorado is a local control state for a reason. Outside special interest groups should stop sticking their nose where it doesn’t belong.” Indeed.
In addition, there’s a board meeting this Thursday, April 7.
- Legislative Update. Jeffco’s lobbyist will update the board on current bills that might affect our students, as well as a current update on the school funding act and what Jeffco is likely to see for next year’s budget.
- District Unified Improvement Plan (UIP). There’s a presentation about the math portion during the study session, and then board discussion during the regular meeting.
- Community Engagement: DAC Budget Recommendations.
- 2016/17 Budget Development and Forecast. This is the best way to find out what current projections are. There are multiple documents attached to this agenda item that are worth a glance if you have time.
- Compensation for Employees and Negotiations with Associations. This presentation includes a list of questions for board members that will partly determine the direction negotiations take in the next weeks.
Can’t attend? Stream the meeting live at this link: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/10429076/events/3542310.