We are very excited both that Dr. Glass, currently superintendent of Eagle County Schools, applied for the position and that he emerged as the clear finalist. JCSBW has quoted Dr Glass’ columns in the Vail Daily in the past because he speaks so articulately about the funding issues and other challenges facing public schools in Colorado. Having him right here in Jeffco is a true privilege and pleasure.
Things we’re most excited about:
- Dr. Glass is an articulate communicator who doesn’t hesitate to reach out to students, families, and the larger community.
- He not only understands the challenges of local and state funding, but has been actively involved in a successful mill and bond campaign in his own district last fall.
- He has previous experience as a superintendent, having served as Eagle County’s superintendent for the past four years.
- He has a doctorate in education.
- Dr. Glass also brings national experience to the district, having served as Iowa’s Department of Education Director and Chief State School Officer from 2010 to 2013.
- He was also appointed as a member of the National Board for Education Sciences board of directors in December 2016 by then-President Obama.
We’re extremely hopeful that Dr. Glass will be able to continue writing columns for one of the local papers that serve Jeffco families. If you haven’t seen his columns, we’d encourage you to read one of his most recent columns, or this one.
The board will vote whether to approve Dr. Glass as superintendent this Tuesday, May 16. The meeting starts at 4 pm (please note the earlier time, which we also missed in our original post!). Time for public comment is scheduled to start at 4, and we encourage you to sign up and share your thoughts with the board.
We are thrilled to have such a great candidate and very pleased with the transparency with which this search was conducted. The community’s voice was used to find and select the finalist, and results from community comments and meetings, including nearly 3,900 surveys and 1,000 comments are available on the Jeffco Schools superintendent search page.
We also know much more about the search than we did three years ago. For example, we know that:
- 825 contacts were made to potential candidates in 46 states,
- 69 applications were received
- 11 candidates from 9 different states were recommended for consideration
- 6 candidates were interviewed from 6 different states (including Colorado, obviously)
- 5 of the interviewees were currently or had been superintendents
- Dr. Glass emerged unanimously as the strongest candidate, far surpassing the others
Tuesday is your last chance to give the board input into this extraordinarily important decision. If you can’t attend, consider emailing the board members with your thoughts.
And as always, we remain