The school board will meet in regular session on Thursday 5/7/15. Here’s the link to the live stream: http://livestream.com/accounts/10429076/events/3542310
After public comment is complete and Julie Williams is properly chastised for her Day of Hate post, the meeting will discuss many issues. Among the more interesting consent agenda items is a delay, after 90 days, for an additional 30 days to extend the charter for four charter schools: Free Horizon Montessori, Lincoln Academy, Montessori Peaks Academy and Rocky Mountain Deaf School. Why the delay until June? We will only know in June! Is this a classic attempt to move it out of the public spotlight? Especially since the chief financial officer raises some Yellow Flags on some of these schools?
One of the main agenda items is a review of the fiscal third quarter. Thanks to so many people leaving the district and unfilled positions, there are actually savings being realized in the expenditures due to staffing holes. Despite this, in five places in the presentation, the chief financial officer may be asking for supplemental appropriations for COPs, Building Fund, Debt Service, Activity Fund, and Enterprise Funds (Food, Childcare, Property Management).
There is a discussion item on Ends goals. But no supporting documents as of Sunday May 3rd. Why?
There is a discussion of the tabled motion on Facilities. The board has heard repeatedly from district staff that there needs to be building in the north part of the district. Again there is to be a presentation to the board on this. Will they listen this time? Who knows. Meanwhile, there is no presentation available again on the day the agenda is posted. Meanwhile, read about a conflict of interest for Witt elsewhere around building schools.
One of the normally sleeper topics, review of board policy is interesting. This document EL-02, covers Treatment of Parents, Guardians, and Community. Reference to another document posted here, is being removed and replaced with a generic statement about cooperation of the superintendent with the public. Why the fear of having a well-defined process? Afraid of accountability? Who knows?
With this BOE, the mysteries just grow and never really get solved. Sure, they could argue that the policy should stand on its own and not reference another document. But what is left has no appeal process. Yet another way to close the public out of the debate about what is best for kids. Here are parts of a brochure describing the policy. All of this will be rescinded with the change proposed by “district staff.”
How do you feel you have been treated so far? Expect worse.
A couple of other housekeeping notes:
1. Have you written to the BOE and/or the district and received a dismissive, demeaning or otherwise unprofessional response? If so, we encourage you to reply and copy firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that your question was not addressed, even though someone clearly had the time to respond. This will ensure your response gets into BoardDocs and the public will be able to track the number of unprofessional or otherwise inappropriate responses to JeffCo parents and community members.
2. A number of people have been surprised by the public comment rules, which are definitely confusing. Here’s what you need to know if you want to speak to the board at Thursday’s meeting:
- Signup time is limited! It opens at 10 am on Monday, and closes at 3:30 pm on Thursday. Don’t wait!
- If you are speaking on an agenda item, sign up for Part 1 of public comment. If not, sign up for Part 2.
- The amount of time you are allowed to speak varies, and you won’t know how long you have until you’re at the meeting. In general, there are enough people signed up for public comment that individual speakers are limited to 1 or 2 minutes while groups of receive 5 minutes. Play it safe: plan to speak no longer than 2 minutes, and have a 1-minute version you can use just in case. The way it works is based on the number of people who sign up:
- 0-20 speakers = individuals 3 minutes, groups 10 minutes
- 21-30 speakers = individuals 2 minutes, groups 5 minutes
- 30 + speakers = individuals 1 minute, groups 3 minutes