We know that many people are still asking who to vote *for* after voting “YES” to recall WNW, so we are republishing this as a reminder for you to share with your friends.
Your ballots have arrived! If you haven’t had time to learn more about the five Clean Slate candidates that we are endorsing, here’s a quick summary about Ali Lasell, Amanda Stevens, Brad Rupert, Susan Harmon and Ron Mitchell. You can also click on their names to read more about them on their websites.
Ali Lasell and Amanda Stevens are running for the District 3 and 4 seats that were already up for election this year. The other three — Brad Rupert, Susan Harmon and Ron Mitchell — are successor candidates for the recall seats.
Seat currently held by outgoing board member Jill Fellman
Ali Lasell is a parent of two Jeffco students and is active in PTA and School Accountability Committee at Maple Grove Elementary. She also spent 25 years as a teacher and has earned a Principal’s license.
She believes in:
- Quality education for all students, including the option for full-day kindergarten
- Strong fiscal accountability, with long range planning and collaboration with parents, community leaders and teachers
- Everyone deserves to be heard: listening and respecting diverse ideas and beliefs to strengthen Jeffco Schools
- Reducing the amount of time spent preparing or taking tests rather than engaging students in learning. Tests should be solely for student growth and data collected should provide timely feedback to students, families and educators.
- Supports school choice and also keeping neighborhood school strong for students who can’t take advantage of school choice
Seat currently held by outgoing board member Lesley Dahlkemper
Amanda Stevens was a Jeffco Schools student and now is the parent to two Jeffco students. She chairs the School Accountability Committee at her children’s school, and spent several years working as a teacher before become a parent.
– She believes in:
- Excellence in education, transparency and accountability in decision-making, and cooperation to effectively and efficiently prepare students and manage schools.
- That each student deserves high academic standards, effective and well-supported teachers and quality curricular and extra-curricular opportunities
- That each student deserves a safe, positive school climate that treats children as whole people with intellectual, social and emotional needs and gifts
- That all students deserve an education that develops engagement, strong work habits, teamwork, goal-attainment and problem-solving skills in schools equipped with the technology and tools to build 21st century proficiencies
- That it’s time for politics to take a back seat to student success.
seat currently held by Julie Williams
Brad Rupert is a Jeffco parent and step-grandparent, as well as the former president of the Arvada Chamber of Commerce and the current president of the Arvada Kiwanis Club. He has also spent many years working for non-profits like Habitat for Humanity and the Arvada Food Bank.
He’s running for school board because:
- He’s worried about the district losing quality teachers
- Political agendas have no place on a school board
- Jeffco’s focus should be on providing an excellent education to every student every day
- If elected, he would dispense with the board attorney position created by WNW and would address concerns about the current teacher contract
Seat currently held by John Newkirk
Susan Harmon is a parent of two Jeffco students who serves on her children’s PTA board, chairs the school accountability committee and volunteers in multiple ways at the school and in the greater Jeffco community.
She’s running for school board to:
- Reconcile the district with teachers and the community
- Restore respect and listen to all voices
- Address inequities with the current pay-for-performance model instituted by WNW. She supports the idea of pay-for-performance but says issues need to be worked through effectively.
seat currently held by Ken Witt
Ron Mitchell is a Jeffco graduate who returned to the district to work as a teacher. He served as Principal of Alameda High School for ten years and at Columbine for eight, and has continued to support Jeffco in numerous ways since his retirement. He is also a Jeffco parent and grandparent.
He is running for school board because:
- The ideological behavior and poor leadership of the board has affected each Jeffco Schools
- Jeffco teachers are leaving due to the board majority’s disrespect, which is negatively impacting our children’s learning experience
- He is committed to listening to the community, keeping great teachers and putting education ahead of politics
- He wants to restore common sense, community values, transparency and financial accountability to the Jeffco School Board
Remember to vote!
Please vote as soon as you get your ballot. This election is too important to sit out.
The first item on the ballot is the regular Jeffco School Board election for the District 3 and 4 seats. Vote for Ali Lasell and Amanda Stevens!
Then vote YES to recall Julie Williams, John Newkirk and Ken Witt, and then vote for successor candidates Brad Rupert, Susan Harmon and Ron Mitchell.
Our children and the future of Jeffco Schools depends on you.
Keep fighting, JeffCo!